Implementation period: 01.2015-05.2020
In line with the main objectives of the European Cohesion Policy, the National Strategic Reference Framework (NSRF) of Bulgaria defines the main policy objectives and development priorities for the programme period 2007-2013 to establish Bulgaria as a competitive EU Member State. One of the main aspects in railway infrastructure projects defined in the scope of NSRF is the line Bulgaria/Serbia – Sofia – Plovdiv – Bulgaria/Turkey Border Checkpoint (Corridors IV, VIII and X), part of which is the project: “Modernisation of Sofia-Plovdiv railway line: Sofia-Elin Pelin and Elin Pelin – Septemvri railway sections”. It will help Bulgaria fulfil its commitments to improve its railway infrastructure in line with European standards and develop Trans-European Transport Networks.
The objectives of the project are as follows:
- Stimulating economic development at regional and national level, supporting more economically viable and reliable transport services for passengers and freight;
- Modernisation of the existing infrastructure in line with EU standards and European transport policies;
- Increasing the capacity of the railway line to ensure its ability to accommodate the forecast traffic;
- Increasing train speeds to 160 km/h for passenger trains and 120 km/h for freight trains;
- Meeting the European interoperability requirements;
- Improvement of safety in the operation of railway infrastructure.